Tallmadge, OH | May 7-11, 2018
Day 1 - Day 4
Advanced Transformer Maintenance & Planning
After a brief review, this course builds on the foundational concepts taught in the Transformer Management Essentials Applied Maintenance (and Transformer Management Essentials Course). Students will dive deeper into the concepts of reactive, predictive, and preventative maintenance of transformers and be able to develop a cost-effective testing and maintenance plan to prolong the reliable life of their transformers.
This course will get the student familiar with the substation and system equipment, as well as additional understanding of transformer design and construction. This course provides the advanced knowledge and develops the skills to identify and analyze / interpret chemical test results, identify maintenance recommendations based on chemical and electrical tests, manage service specifications, and make critical maintenance / planning decisions. We further build and work on the application of this advanced education through practical exercise, interactive activities, etc. thus increasing the learning retention, applicability of concepts and overall experience.
What You'll Learn
- Understand the functions of a substation
- Understand new installation acceptance testing
- Interpret test results (other fluids)
- Understand and identify field electrical tests needed
- Understand electrical testing procedures, connections, and results
- Develop and Implement a structured maintenance plan
- Create purchasing specifications for service and vendor qualifications
- and more…
SESSION ONE: SUBSTATION AND SYSTEM EQUIPMENT
- Substation Overview
- Key Substation Components
SESSION TWO: CONCEPTS IN TRANSFORMER DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
- Types of Transformers
- Advanced Transformer Principles
- Design Practices
SESSION THREE: NEW TRANSFORMER MINERAL OIL
- New Oil Specifications
- SDMyers’ Suggested New Oil Specifications
- Testing Oil During Processing and Filling
- Testing New Installations
SESSION FOUR: ADVANCED DIELECTRIC FLUID TESTING & ANALYSIS
- Mineral Oil Dielectric Fluid Review
- Testing and Results for Alternate Fluids
- Testing for Other Mineral Oil-filled Equipment
SESSION FIVE: ADVANCED FIELD ELECTRICAL TESTING
- Broadband Tests
- Narrow Band Tests
- Emerging Technologies
SESSION SIX: ADVANCED TRANSFORMER MAINTENANCE PLANNING
- Intro/review of Applied Maintenance
- Operate Under a Structured Maintenance Plan
- Maintenance Operatives
- Specify Repair and Fluid Processing Standards
- Qualify Vendors for Safe and Effective Service
- Build a Program to Protect and Extend the Life of Your Transformer
SESSION SEVEN: APPLYING ADVANCED MAINTENANCE CONCEPTS
- Understanding Maintenance Services and Tools
- Existing Technologies
Load Tap Changer Principles & Maintenance
This class explains the theory of load tap changing and identifies the various types and styles of tap changers, their components, and sequences of operation. Additionally, this class discusses monitoring, inspections, and testing required for developing an intelligent preventative load tap changer (LTC) maintenance program.
What You'll Learn
- Identify the purpose of load tap changers.
- Identify load tap changer components.
- Identify the sequence of operation, including those with vacuum interrupters.
- Learn monitoring and testing procedures.
- Review of inspection and testing procedures.
- Develop a preventative maintenance program for LTCs.
This course is also available as customer on-site training or an elective.
Inspection & Sampling of Fluid-Filled Transformers
Learn the proper and safe procedures needed to obtain a representative sample of dielectric fluid. Features a sampling demonstration and practical exercises to obtain accurate oils samples for use in lab analysis.
What You'll Learn
- Safety hazards and PPE requirements.
- Identify transformers that require extraordinary procedures to obtain samples.
- Gain knowledge of transformers, auxiliary equipment, accessories and other equipment.
- Learn proper oil sampling procedures.
- Learn how proper samples lead to a more accurate trending history.
This course is also available as customer on-site training.
- Special Care Transformers
- Transformer Part & Visual Inspection
- Inspection Forms/Nameplates/Gauges
- Sampling Containers
- Proper Sampling
- Nitrogen Blanket
- Why Oil Test
- The importance of monitoring the insulation